Throughout the years, transporting children has gotten easier and more convenient. We have evolved through the pram, bassinet, slings, backpacks, to bicycle along carriers and at present the baby stroller.
The stroller has revolutionized child transport so much so that it is at the moment convenient to transport not just one, but up to three with a triple stroller. While still maintaining a lightweight frame, these strollers are comfortable for every parent. Even if you are a runner and have to keep watch over your baby, there is a stroller for that too!
A Little History
An early version of the stroller was developed in 1733 by William Kent for the Duke of Devonshire. By 1840, baby strollers became very popular among parents everywhere. Frequently crafted out of wicker and wood and held together by brass joints, this was back then the easiest way of transporting children without any unnecessary hassle.
Fast-forward to 1965 when Owen McLaren crafted the first real umbrella stroller featuring an aluminum frame. When looking at the stroller options of today, you will notice that we have come a long way, with a stroller available to suit every lifestyle.
Caring For Your Stroller
Much like all other babies oriented products it is important to stay up-to-date on any necessary upkeep; including proper cleaning. It is not recommended that you let your child exist in any filthy conditions as their immune systems are feeble, and this is even truer for younger children and infants. Therefore, even if you do not use your stroller daily, you should always make sure that you are transporting your baby in a stroller that is clean.
What many people do not realize is that the stroller is essentially one of the dirtiest baby accessories a parent can own. With it travelling with you everywhere you go to it is no stranger to the dirt and grime that exists in the outside world. Keeping your stroller clean will not only ensure your child’s health and safety, but it will keep your best travel stroller operating in tip-top condition.
When cleaning your strollers, many different aspects could easily go overlooked. Below I will illustrate some tips and tricks on how to keep your stroller in peak condition, boasting a healthy and safe transport for all your children.
- Keeping the fabric cleans
the dirtiest spot in a stroller, besides the wheels, of course, is likely going to be where the child sits. Make sure to take a vacuum to that area, removing any crumbs and dirt. With some strollers, the fabric can even be removed and washed.
- If you find that the material cannot be deleted, then taking the stroller outside and using your hose is your next-best bet.
- Any detachable plastic found on the stroller should be removed and cleaned with a rag and a simple kid-friendly cleaner such as dish soap and hot water.
- Wipe the rims, wheels, frame, and plastic parts with disinfectant, killing any germs that might be travelling with your child.
- Check for & remove any twigs or leaves that might have gotten caught up in the wheels.
- Always ensure that your tires have enough air in them and refill it if they do not.
- Once the stroller is cleaned and pieced back together you can spray its entirety with a disinfectant and Febreeze, keeping it fresh.
The Bottom Line
As parents, we need what is best for our children no matter our means. Keeping your baby in safe, healthy, clean conditions can work wonders in making sure that your child does not pick up any unnecessary bugs or illnesses along the way. If you follow the tips above on cleaning your stroller, then you should have nothing to worry.